Click on a question to view the answer
- How long do canned foods retain their taste, goodness and nutritional value?
When stored in a cool, dry place, canned foods retain their taste, goodness and nutritional value for two to three years.
- How do I know what’s in Heinz Wattie’s products?
Simply check the label on every product we make. On each label you’ll find all of the ingredients listed in descending order – with those present in the greatest amount (by ingoing weight) listed first, to the least.
- How do I know how to prepare Wattie’s products?
Some Heinz Wattie’s products require preparation instructions and some do not. Those that do provide easy-to-follow preparation instructions on the label or package.If you have any questions about the preparation of a Heinz Wattie’s product, call 0800 653 050.
- I’m allergic to nuts. How do I know if there are any nuts in a Heinz Wattie’s product?
We carefully label our products to accurately list the ingredients found in each one. If nuts or traces of nuts are found in a product, it will be clearly stated on the label. Or, for more info on our products free from peanuts, visit www.heinzwatties.co.nz/Allergen-Centre
- What does ‘HP’ stand for on the HP Sauce?
In the 1800s, the UK MP Chastity Brown asked the chefs at the Houses of Parliament to make up a sauce similar to one he’d tried in India – hence the HP stands for House of Parliament.
- Can you freeze canned food once opened?
With the exceptions of baby foods, custards and desserts, you can freeze most of our canned foods for three months once opened. However, some foods do not maintain the same consistency once frozen and defrosted. Be sure to ‘de-can’ any food and place it in a plastic container before freezing.
- Are Heinz Wattie’s products GE free?
Yes, all Heinz Wattie’s products are GE free.
- Are Heinz Wattie’s cans recyclable?
Yes, all of our cans are recyclable.
- Is the lacquer on the inside of Heinz Wattie’s cans harmful?
No, the gold coating found in the inside of cans is “epoxy phenolic” and the white coating is "epoxy anhydride", both of which are resin-based materials that have been approved by the FDA, the United States Food and Drug Administration, to have contact with food.
- Is the meat used in Heinz Wattie’s products Halal?
No, the meat we use in our products is not Halal.
- What does ‘made from local and imported ingredients’ mean?
This statement is found on the label of some of our products. It means that these products are made from ingredients grown or produced in New Zealand as well as other ingredients that are not grown or produced in New Zealand.
- Do Heinz Wattie’s marmalades and jams contain grapefruit?
Grapefruit or grapefruit juice may be present as an ingredient or in the pectin in our marmalades and jams, so they are not recommended for people on blood thinning medications.
- If I’m pregnant is it safe to consume Heinz Wattie’s dressings?
Yes, you can rest assured that the eggs in Heinz Wattie’s dressings are fully cooked and safe for expectant women to enjoy.
- Does Heinz Wattie’s produce foods that are suitable for vegetarians?
Yes, please check the ingredients list on the label or contact us on 0800 653 050.